Monday, November 10, 2008

A MESSAGE FROM JOE BROWNING


After all the excitement last week, I know a lot of you citizens of Verne are wondering what's happening with the Mayor's Office. If you saw our last Weekly Update, you know that Danforth Quinn is better at evaluating tax forms than he is at evaluating someone's medical condition!

Right after the election, I took a week off to go far away and visit my uncle and his family, help him with a little work on his house, and clear my head. When I got back, I found things pretty much as I left them: I'm the acting Mayor, Bonnie is still running day-to-day operations here at Town Hall, and Mr. Quinn is working on the 2009 budget.

This was not my plan when I asked some of you to write in my name. We have averted Mr. Blank's scheme for a new mall/megastore, but I have other plans which don't necessarily include serving as your Mayor. Right now, the most I can promise is that I'll be here until a suitable replacement can be found, or the Mayor comes out of his coma, whichever comes first.

Until then, please keep checking this blog, and the Mayor's website for more details. As he used to say...

God Bless Verne, and God Bless America.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, God bless you Joe Browning. The citizens of Verne owe you plenty!

Anonymous said...

HURRAH! HURRAH! HURRAH!

FINALLY THIS TOWN WILL BE RUN BY SOMEONE WITH A LICK OF COMMON SENSE! I THREW IN MY LOT WITH MAYOR SUSAN ST. JAMES BECAUSE LIFE HAS TAUGHT ME YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO MAKE DISGUSTING DECISIONS FOR THE GREATER GOOD, BUT I GUESS GOD HAD HIS EYE ON JOE AND SO BLESS THIS FIND YOUNG MAN. I KNOW HE WILL BRING US THE CHANGE WE NEED HERE IN VERNE. AND HEY! YOU CAN USE THAT LINE IN YOUR ADMINISTRATION! IT'S ALL YOURS, MISTER MAYOR!! GOD BLESS JOE BROWN FOREVER!!!

A VERNE CITIZEN

Unknown said...

The Honorable Joseph Browning
Mayor
City of Verne

Dear Mr. Mayor:

I wish to offer my sincere and hearty congratulations on your new position, and am sure that the people of Verne in their collective wisdom or whatever we want to call it have chosen well.

While my affection and loyalty to current Lame Duck (and sadly unconscious) Mayor Garner St. John is unshaken, for the good of Verne I want you to know that if there is anything I can do to help you in the days ahead, paid or unpaid, please don't be afraid to ask.

And, in passing, I should mention that even though my specialty has been broad-view conceptualizing and historial perspectivizing for the previous Mayor, I am also a fully trained and accredited Certified Public Accountant.

Yours for Better Government,
DANFORTH QUINN

Anonymous said...

Well Joe,

I always liked your Dad when he was running Verne and I know you'll be a good mayor too. Lamona and I want to extend you the same courtesy we did to Garner, you can microwave whatever you want at the Shop-N-Go, you don't even have to buy it here.

I'm glad you got a chance to visit your uncle, I'd forgotten all about him after he moved to the big city. If you ever need anyone to talk to about city politics, you know which barstool I'll be sitting at, over to Haverkamp's.

Anonymous said...

How's the mayor doing in his coma? Really miss the old wind bag. The town isn't the same.

Anonymous said...

Well Betsy, he seems to be hanging in there, sometimes in the morning I almost expect him to walk in with a hangover after a night at Haverkamp's. And the strangest thing, the doctor says he has grown a few extra strands of hair! Lord knows, he needs them!